Wednesday, March 26, 2008

MOVIE REVIEWS: I AM LEGEND, MONGOLIAN PINGPONG, THE FINAL INQUIRY

I couldn't believe how tired I've been and I think it was from all the running around for Easter. It was worth it; just seeing the little kids hunting for eggs was great fun. But yesterday and today, all I could do were a few chores and watch rented movies: I Am Legend, Mongolian Pingpong, and The Final Inquiry.

So, let me comment on the movies.

I Am Legend - Do not waste your money renting this; it's a bad film. It's a cross between futuristic and horror - a virus hits New York and turns people and dogs into zombies. A military scientist sticks it out in New York to try and find an antidote. He is killed by zombies, but not before he turnsover an important blood sample to another survivor. This summary sounds better than the movie.

Mongolia Pingpong - I didn't see this movie in its entirety but what I saw I enjoyed. It's set in undeveloped Mongolia. Some children find a pingpong, which is a mystery to them and which fascinates them. Meantime, we get glimmers of Mongolian living: a traveling salesman trades his wares for lamb; the father of the family cools his beer in the river; the children roam the barren land on their horses and motorcyle, and so on. I missed the part where the children go to China with the pingpong ball. This is a quiet film which gives you an idea of life in this remote part of the world.

The Final Inquiry - This is an Easter film. The premise is better than the execution, but its' watchable. The Roman Caesar orders a Roman Tribune to go to Jerusalem to investigate the missing body of Christ. As the Roman does his investigation, we meet familiar bible characters: Pontius Pilate, Mary, Magdalene, Peter, Saul, Stephen, Tabitha, etc. The main problem is that the acting isn't great, and the dialogue is stilted.

All for now.

No comments: