Sunday, March 2, 2008

PUBLISHING SURPRISES

I don't know what's going on, but today I stumbled upon a site mentioning a Turkish edition of my first novel, When the Rainbow Goddess Wept. This is a mystery to me because I never gave any publisher permission to translate this novel into Turkish and to publish it in Istanbul. I'm checking with University of Michigan Press, my publisher of this novel, to see if they know what's going on.

This concerns me, of course. A couple of years ago, I discovered a hardbound edition of Growing Up Filipino: Stories for Young Adults, put out by Sagebrush Press, without my permission. Sagebrush had done the same for other best-selling books by small presses, and complaints were made. I wrote Amazon.com to inform them that Sagebrush did not have the rights to do a hardbound edition. I note that now, Amazon.com lists a "School and Library Edition" by Tandem Library. Again, Tandem does not have my permission to reprint Growing Up Filipino.

This is all quite disconcerting and I will have to followup to protect my rights to these books.



See the sites below:


http://worldcat.org/oclc/66532569&referer=brief_results Gökkuşaǧı tanrıçası aǧladıǧında ; [İngilizce'den çeviren]: Füsun Talay.
by Cecilia Manguerra Brainard; Füsun Talay
Type: Book
Language: Turkish
Publisher: İstanbul : Bilge kültür sanat, 2001.
ISBN: 975850908X 9789758509089
OCLC: 66532569


http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:YLsy-beTursJ:www.tulumba.com/storeItem.asp%3Fic%3DzBK981162TR128+cecilia+brainard+turkish&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=us

No comments: