Monday, March 31, 2008

READER'S COMMENTS RE WHEN THE RAINBOW GODDESS WEPT



-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Kemerait
To: CBrainard@aol.com
Sent: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 3:21 pm
Subject: Rainbow Goddess

Dear Ms. Brainard:

I have recently purchased and read your novel "When the Rainbow Goddess Wept".
I found this to be a very satisfying and thought-provoking book- one that fed my
passion for the Philippines and the history of the Philippines. I most enjoyed
the integration of traditional stories and likely your family's memories of the
war years into the story.

The only distractions I had were on what I perceive (from my studies of the
period) to be occasional historical inaccuracies. For example, I do not know of
any instance where Japanese soldiers mutilated an American nurse; in fact, for
whatever reason,American nurses captured by the Japanese in the Philippines were
not violated physically (as many Filipinas and Asian women in other countries
were). Secondly, I do not believe that American forces bombed Filipino towns or
villages in their retreat during 1942. Quite the contrary, Manila was left as
an "open city" by Americans to avoid unnecessary loss of civilian life. Upon
return to Manila in 1944, the Japanese soldiers remaining in Manila would not
vacate, and thus a blood bath ensued where approximately 100,000 civilians were
killed in the cross-fire that destroyed the city. Also- I do not know of the
American guerilla who caused such misery late in the story, but of course such
is certainly possible and such behavior has tragically, been vented upon the Filipinos by other Americans throughout our 100-year relationship.

Again, thanks for such a wonderful work to share with my Fil-Am children and
Pinay bride. I believe I will purchase your novel "Magdalena" next.

Sincerely,
Bob Kemerait

~~~~
Cecilia's Reply:
Dear Bob,
Thank you for your email.

Re your comments:
1) the American nurse who was mutilated - I can no longer find my source, but this is historically accurate;
2) the Americans bombing - yes, this happened - Manila and Cebu were bombed - I think part of the reasoning was so as not leave behind anything the enemy could use - airports, roads, buildings, resources, etc. and thus thwart the enemy.

I have posted some sites below about World War II, but there are more.

The American character is fictional.

http://www.geocities.com/rolborr/lumapak.html

http://www.philpost.com/1100pages/ww2stories1100.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/223038.stm

http://www.ww2pacific.com/atrocity.html
~~~
When the Rainbow Goddess Wept, University of Michigan's Ann Arbor Press - here's a little tidbit about the cover - it shows the turn-of-the-century photo of the Cuenco family, which you may have seen in my other blog entries.

1 comment:

Flaxseed benefits said...

Thanks for another great post. Really appreciate the genuine information.