Saturday, July 5, 2008

Manila Updates



I took the ferry from Makati to Quiapo to take pictures of Pasig River and to shop in Quiapo. The Makati terminal is in Guadalupe on J.P. Rizal, a very nice, clean terminal. I caught the 10:55 a.m. ferry, and in about 40 minutes I was in Quiapo. I was able to take some pictures. The Pasig River now is nothing like what it had been when I was young. Then it was incredibly polluted, with garbage and plants covering the water surface, meaning there were no fish in the river. Now it's much cleaner and you can see fish frolicking and birds flying over - it's quite amazing how the river has come back to life.

My friend Tillic had taught me how to take this ferry to Quiapo. We had done this six months ago when the weather was good. Now that it's rainy season, the river has risen, flooding Quiapo. The area in front of the stores had knee-high water, and believe me, you don't want to wade in that filthy water! I had to hire a tricycle to drive me a few feet, just to keep me above water level. The stores themselves are above water level but if you step off the store, you're in the flood area. I found some Filipiniana clothes in the shop. The thing with shopping in Quiapo is that it's incredible cheap and fun (for the local color). Consider the Filipino blouse, skirt and panuelo (shawl) for P1,100; the same item sells for around P4,000 in the Makati department store. I also found some nice kimona tops and bakya (wooden clogs).

Next time I'd like to take the ferry to Fort Santiago - that should be fun. When I see the Pasig from the ferry boat, I can imagine what it had been years ago when it had been the main artery for transportation, from Manila de Bay all the way to Laguna de Bay.

Today, met with Maryknollers Marily Orosa, Meldee Perez, and Ana Marie Sison for lunch in the Museum Cafe. We had a lot of catching up to do, and the lunch went on for four hours, capped by Mass in the lovely circular Greenbelt Chapel.

Manila at this time of year is not as hot. It's definitely more pleasant even with the occasional drizzle.

All for now,
Cecilia

(Top photo shows Lambingan Ferry Station; bottom photo shows l-r: Ana Marie Sison, Marily Orosa, Meldee Perez, and Cecilia Brainard)

No comments: