Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Superb Eden Canyon Wine with my Quiche!

The writer Nieves C. Villamin sent me three bottles of Eden Canyon Wine. My family and I tried the 2009 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon last Sunday with my homemade quiche and a glorious salad - and oh, my, the meal was superb.

Eden Canyon Winery, located in Paso Robles, California, is owned by a Filipino American family (Nieves et al); it has won numerous awards, including a Gold Medal for its 2010 "Estate" Cabernet Sauvignon", Bronze Medal for its 2010 "Freedom from the Press" Cab, and a Bronze Medal for its 2009 "Jolie" Bordeaux style wine.



I will be frank with you and confess that I am not a wine connoisseur. I can be content with the famous California "Two Buck Chuck" from Trader Joe's.  But I must say that the Eden Canyon 2009 Cab I had was marvelous. I do not have the right terms, so I will say it my own way: the wine was mellow and flowed down my throat nicely --- no acidic taste, no grating back-of-the-throat after taste, just nice and pleasant. It loosened the tongue somewhat, but what the heck? Once in a while, one can get a bit tipsy and yak.

Nieves, thanks for the wine! I'm looking forward to tasting the other two: 2009 "Jolie" and (oh, joy!) another 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon.

The group shows Nieves C. Villamin, standing, third from the left, and I'm seated front right. This was taken at the October Filipino American Book Festival in San Francisco.

I'm also reposting my quiche recipe for those who missed it.

Quiche

2- 9 in pie pans, frozen or make (I buy Marie Callendar's deep dish frozen)
3 eggs, large
1 pint half-half (which is 2 cups)
1 white onion, large, chopped
bacon bits or sliced ham bits
10 oz Swiss cheese, grated (To simplify, I buy from Costco pre-grated cheese, sharp if possible, yellow and white cheese mixed)
dash each: salt, nutmeg, and cayenne (this is in the recipe but I just put in salt and pepper)

optional: 1 box frozen chopped spinach; you could also add mushrooms if you like; I sometimes use sausage instead of ham or bacon bits

Sprinkle bacon or ham bits on pie crust; if you're adding spinach, this goes on top of the ham or bacon bits.  You need to thaw, and drain the spinach; I even squeeze out the liquid because this can make your quiche runny); 
Spread uncooked onions; spread cheese, Mix eggs, milk, and seasoning, pour this over cheese. Press cheese as it gets wet.

Bake 350 for around 50-60 min.  It's cooked when knife pulls out clean.

This freezes well, in case you want to make a bunch and freeze some for later use.

Read also:
Cooking with Cecilia - Pancit Bihon Guisado, Filipino rice noodle dish 
Cooking with Cecilia Brainard - Quiche
Cooking with Cecilia Brainard - Linguine with Clams
Cooking Lengua Estofada 
Food Essay - Fried Chicken Caribbean-style
How I Learned to Make Leche Flan (or How I Met my Husband)
Cooking with Cecilia - Leche Flan (Vietnamese Style) 
Recipe for Balbacua Cebuana from Louie Nacorda
Easy Filipino Recipes from Maryknollers 
Cooking with Cecilia - Beef Bourguignon 
Cooking with Cecilia - Chicken Soup for my Bad Cold

tags: wine, drink, food, Eden Canyon, Nieves Villamin, California winery, Filipino American winery

This is all for now,
Cecilia

No comments: