Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A Miracle for Raquel Balagtas!



Do you remember this appeal for a kidney for Raquel Balagtas, my high school classmate?

http://cbrainard.blogspot.com/2014/03/would-you-donate-kidney-appeal-for.html

Well, miracles do happen -- Raquel Balagtas had a kidney transplant last Saturday, May 24, and she is recuperating nicely.  Please continue to pray for her though as she is still healing.


From her son's blog, I quote:



Hello everyone,
For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Rallee, Raquel’s fifth son. And in case you haven’t heard, my mom received a call at 2:30 am Friday morning letting her know that there is a possible kidney donor, and that she had to go to MUSC at 7:30 am to find out if it is a match. Well it was a match and the following morning, she underwent kidney transplant. As you can imagine, this is far from a simple operation, and a quick and difficult decision was necessary.
The previous email mentioned that she was officially placed on the donor waiting list last month. To get a call back for a donor in such a short time is unprecedented. She even almost did not answer the call because it was from an “800″ number! With unending faith in God, she decided to go through with it. As we were waiting for the lab results to confirm a match, we met others at the hospital who had been waiting for years for a kidney.
When the match was confirmed, it was already night time, and they had to postpone the operation until the next morning. As we went down to the cafeteria we accidentally ran into a Nigerian priest who gave her the sacrament of the anointing of the sick. I myself was quite dumbstruck and chills hit me as I witnessed a sort of experience that I can’t really explain in words. What a miracle it was!
The next morning she went under for the operation, and full of grace, she came out perfectly. Although there was much post-op pain, Mom is currently stabilizing smoothly and the results are better than expected. The attending surgeon came out before schedule without breaking a sweat, with a huge smile, shook my hand, and said “She did great. It was perfect.”
Now I am very happy to announce to you all that she is recovering well, but please keep her in your prayers because she is not completely out of the woods yet. We will continue to monitor her progress and do what the doctors say so that full recovery is as fast and easy as possible. Thank you, God bless.
Rallee Balagtas

This is all for now (I am in awe over God's greatness and mercy!)

No comments: