Thursday, March 15, 2018

Voice from the Past - Filipino Author Bienvenido N. Santos



I was happy to stumble upon this handwritten note from Filipino writer Bienvenido N. Santos to me dated May 22, 1988. Ben Santos was very supportive of my literary efforts. He was the one who introduced me to Gloria Rodriquez, publishing manager of New Day at the time, and Tita Glo published my first book, Woman With Horns and Other Stories.


Ben's note says: 

May 22, 1988, 
Dear Cecilia, Thank you for your autographed copy of your book. Now I can read the complete collection.
As a regular commuter between the RP and the U.S. every six months each year since 1981, promoting my books and teaching, I know what you mean when you say "I am tired." Consider, too, that I'm a 77-year old man.

But I keep busy, which to me is a way of survival. Manila is an exciting town to visit. I was born there, but the place has changed, the people, too.

I missed you at the poetry reading in which I participated in L.A. April 9. I asked Linda where you were and she told me. Sorry, our paths didn't cross.

I'm leaving at the end of the month for the Wash/DC area to speak and to receive my work in progress. Wish me well as I do you. Thank you again. 
Regards to Lauren. 
Ben Santos.

From Wikipedia, here is a short bio of Ben: Bienvenido N. Santos (March 22, 1911 – January 7, 1996) was a Filipino-American fiction, poetry and nonfiction writer. He was born and raised in Tondo, Manila. His family roots are originally from Lubao, Pampanga, Philippines. He lived in the United States for many years where he is widely credited as a pioneering Asian-American writer.

l-r: Linda Nietes, P.C. Morantte, Cecilia Brainard, Bienvenido N. Santos

 #Philippine #literature #pinoylit #FilAm #novel #writer #Filipino #author #goodreads #librarians'

Read also

No comments: