Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Evora, Portugal: Mary Our Lady of Mothers


Portugal - Evora: the image that comes to my mind this early morning is that of the statue of a very pregnant Mary. I saw her at the ancient Cathedral of Evora, which was  built in 1186, though restored in the Gothic style in the 1400s. Vasco de Gama had his ships' flags blessed at this same cathedral.

I was surprised to see the pregnant Mary on an altar. Called Our Lady of Mothers,, she was put there in the 15th century by priests who thought she could convert pagans who worship goddess/mothers.

Now I'm sorry I didn't buy a statue of her, but this particular statue was somewhat steep, and my luggage getting full.

As you look at her image, please say a Hail Mary for world peace.

Tags; #marian #portugal catholic christianity 

No comments: