Saturday, September 28, 2013

Post-War Cebu Life - More Memorabilia photos of Cecilia Brainard




So when I was small, my mother had my sister and me take piano lessons and our teacher was a man named Bokoy.  Once I caught him lying on the couch with his feet up on the piano, and he was actually playing the piano using his toes!

I had a few recitals and I learned to read music but didn't "make it" as a piano player.




My mother on the other hand played the piano, and my father played the violin, and some nights they used to play together.

Here are more "salvaged" pictures from my fading album, and -- whoa! -- what a sullen, cranky expression I had in these.

In fact, I do have pictures where I'm smiling but chose the serious ones for comparison's sake.

The group picture above shows me kneeling, second to the right; and this is the picture with President Ramon Magsaysay, man kneeling on the left side; and Senator Pacita Madrigal also kneeling on his left.

The mole on my nose was removed at some point in my life.

Playing the piano with my eyes closed!


 I attended St. Theresa's College in Cebu and later in San Marcelino, Manila

 With my sister and father, Mariano Manguerra





I'm in the middle row, fourth from the left. 

 Whoa - this is an angry expression!

 Another pissed-off look

 With my mother, Concepcion Cuenco Manguerra

 I was a good deal older here, but it's the same sullen face!


This shows my mother and me in Toledo, Spain. Ignore the kid in front of us.


 Read also
The Bachelors and Femina Days of Cebu - Memorabilia photos
Old Photographs and Memories 
The Schools I attended, Part 1, St.Theresa's College
The Schools I attended, Part 2, UP & Maryknoll
The Schools I attended, Part 3, UCLA

Saying Goodbye to Papa
Where the Daydreaming Came From 
Death of a Carnival Queen

Cooking with Cecilia Brainard - Quiche
Cooking with Cecilia Brainard - Linguine with Clams
Cooking Lengua Estofada
Food Essay - Fried Chicken Caribbean-style
How I Learned to Make Leche Flan (or How I Met my Husband)
Cooking with Cecilia - Leche Flan (Vietnamese Style) 
Recipe of Balbacua Cebuana from Louie Nacorda
Easy Filipino Recipes from Maryknollers
Cooking with Cecilia - Beef Bourguignon
Cooking with Cecilia - Chicken Soup for my Bad Cold 

The Rats and James Dean's Porsche

All for now,
Cecilia

tags: Philippines, Cebu, Cecilia Manguerra Brainard, pictures, photographs, Cebuano, society, friends, memorabilia, St. Theresa's College




2 comments:

Eduardo Sánchez Butragueño said...

HI!
Do you have more pictures taken at Toledo?? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, no.