Monday, May 2, 2016

Travel: "The Kindness of the French" in Huffington Post #travel #France





















Huffington Post ran my personal essay "The Kindness of the French" in their Travel Blog section - click here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cecilia-brainard/the-kindness-of-the-frenc_b_9818622.html

Here are the pictures included with the article:






Comments posted in Huffington Post:
Loreta Castro ·
Thanks for sharing this story. It reminded me of dear friends from France who were very kind and generous, but one of them has passed on and I lost touch with the other one when she moved residence. Indeed we all have a reserve of strength that comes to the fore when we need it.
LikeReply1May 2, 2016 5:11pm
Cecilia Brainard ·
Hi, Loreta Castro, Many thanks for the feedbak and I'm sorry about your friend. Maybe you can track down the other friend. Best regards, C
LikeReply1May 2, 2016 7:35pm
Rita Harris ·
I too, had a similar situation happen, but in a much more rural region of France. I fell, and was transported to the hospital. X-rays confirmed I had not broken anything, but had osteoarthritis so bad I could not walk without being in excruciating pain. I had a total hip replacement shortly thereafter, at the small, 50 bed, Clinique du Parc, in Perigueux, Aquitaine, France. Being a retired ICU nurse, I was terrified that their procedures, equipment, doctors and nursing care would not be as good as as that in the U. S., and indeed, they were not. They were far superior. Nothing in my experience could have prepared me for the excellent care I received from everyone involved with my surgery. I was astonished at the level of medical care in France, and the graciousness of the clinic staff, especially given that my French was very rudimentary at the time. We in America, should all have access to such incredibly good care, and, at such an affordable price.
LikeReply1May 3, 2016 12:31pm
Cecilia Brainard ·
Thank you for your comment. You stated our sentiments exactly. Universal Health care in France works very, very well. My husband and I can't get over the excellence of the medical care he got and with less bells and whistles. He was not woken up early in the morning to have blood drawn. Medical staff did not overly bother him. His hospital room had less "bling" than American hospital rooms, and yet everything worked beautifully. He also preferred the French crutches that fit on the forearm, instead of under the armpit.
LikeReplyMay 3, 2016 5:15pm
Rod Egret ·
Our public health care system is expensive but I gladly pay my taxes knowning that any one who needs care will get it.
LikeReply2May 3, 2016 6:32am
Cecilia Brainard ·
Thank you for your comment. Your Universal Health Care is an excellent model. Merci beaucoup.
LikeReplyMay 3, 2016 8:25am
Lucy Miller ·
Beautiful article, very well written. I was right there with you, Cecilia, worried and uncertain as your unfolded. I am so glad that Lauren is fine.
LikeReply1May 2, 2016 2:10pm
Cecilia Brainard ·
Lucy Miller, thank you very much! He is fine. What happened that May has become "story" something we retell and laugh about. He especially like saying, "He got screwed by the French."
LikeReplyMay 2, 2016 2:23pm
Charlyn Cabanero
Nice to know that all over the world, people are kind. Love the article and all the insights and observations on the French people and culture while a very personal story is told.
LikeReply1May 2, 2016 5:13pm
Cecilia Brainard ·
Thank you so much, Charlyn Cabanero for the feedback. Much appreciated.
LikeReplyMay 2, 2016 7:34pm
Swapna Pawar
Beautifully told, I am even more curious about and intrigued by the French now!
LikeReply1May 3, 2016 9:35am
Cecilia Brainard ·
Thank you Swapna Pawar - ah, you will have to go there one day.
LikeReplyMay 3, 2016 5:15pm
Emilie Cortez ·
It's nice to discover kindness in our travels. Thanks for sharing.
Cecilia Brainard ·
Emilie Cortez, thanks for your feedback! Regards, C
LikeReplyMay 2, 2016 7:35pm
Pierce Newyorke ·
Well done.
LikeReply1May 2, 2016 1:43pm
Cecilia Brainard ·
Pierce Newyorke, thanks once again for your kind words and support.
LikeReplyMay 2, 2016 2:24pm


Read also:
   Tags: travel, blog, essay, article, holiday, France, Paris, medical emergency, 

   This is all for now,
    Cecilia


No comments: