Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Marissa Tay Praises Brainard's Magical Years: Memories & Sketches




During these days of Coronavirus, I was particularly happy to hear from my college friend, Marissa Tay, who sent me her feedback about my book, Magical Years: Memories & Sketches. This book collects sketches inspired by my childhood in Cebu. Marissa was my classmate at Maryknoll College. She is a collector of Philippine weavings and she herself does weavings and artistic works using fabric. Thank you for your kind comments, Marissa.

I was happy that my book of sketches touched her as it did other Maryknollers: Maribel Paras, Tina Borja Heiter, Edna Del Rosario, Loreta Castro, Angeles De Leon, Miriam Durban Tagamolila, Lina David Ong, among others.

From Marissa Tay:

"got your wonderful book a few days ago. Thank you so much. I was so busy unpacking my house, I forgot to acknowledge receiving it. But I read it na. I could relate to some of your memories. In Davao when I was growing up, we played the same fun games. My parents brought us on pasyals on weekends; we made trips to local library to borrow books, visited nearby ice-cream shops and bibingkahan ... slow, easy, uncomplicated life in the province.

The one thing we didn’t have in Mindanao, specifically Davao, were the old Spanish architectural churches and plazas that Cebu, Vigan, and Bacolod have to this day. When Spain colonized the Philippines, they did not touch Mindanao, thus the resettlement programs of Quezon and all the presidents after him.

Thanks again. How special - signed and numbered edition. When you’re in the East Coast, you know to call me
."
~

MAGICAL YEARS: MEMORIES & SKETCHES by Cecilia Manguerra Brainard
(PALH 2020), 37 pages, book size is 8 x 8, hardbound
ISBN 9780971945890
Special Limited Edition - Each book is signed and numbered by the artist/author
43 Sketches in reed and pen and ink by Cecilia Manguerra Brainard, (hb) $45.00
Contact palhbooks@gmail.com for a copy.

Amazon also has copies for $55 plus shipping;

Or email palh@aol.com or palhbooks@gmail.com, for the same book for $45, plus US shipping of $10.00.






Tags: reed sketches, bamboo sketches, pen and ink, art, Philippines, Cebu, #CeciliaBrainard


No comments: