Friday, May 5, 2023

Pastel Art at the Musee d'Orsay - No. 1

 

During a recent visit to Paris, we visited the Musee d'Orsay, which had a Spring 2023 Pastel Exhibition.  I love pastels and try to learn on my own.  I still have to find a pastel teacher. Most of my art teachers don't like this medium.  I'm posting some of the pastels that I really liked. This is set 1.

 I was fascinated by the Olympia done by Edouard Manet, and which was copied by Paul Gauguin.  Degas bought the Gauguin copy to hang in his place.  





 

 

I also appreciated Edouard Manet's La Lecture. The white on whie fascinates me -- how he differentiated objects and not let the them run together.  

 



The Portrait of M. Emile Zola by Edouard Manet interests me because of the detailed paintings on the wall of the painting.  



The portrait by Edgar Degas of Edmond and Therese interests me when I contrast Degas; style with that of Manet.  Manet's work is more crisp, more outlined so to speak. Degas' work is less so. 



I like the following work Cour d'une Maison by Edgar Degas, which is more graphic, and which has depth. The image continues to go inward and inward - there is the room floor, the children, the patio with dot, the yard, the house and trees or posts further in the background. Amazing. 



I'll stop here for now, but plan to post more of these master pastels.

Read also

Pastel Art No. 1 at Musee d'Orsay

Pastel Art No. 2 at Musee d'Orsay

Art at Musee d'Orsay 

tags: pastel art, pastelists, Paris museum

No comments: