"Rodriguez presents a nuanced reading of the coming-of-age celebration in both Mexican and Filipino communities in her analysis of the two vis-à-vis larger issues of representation and situated identities. Her careful and insightful writing about issues that seem to lie beneath the surface of many of these celebrations includes extensive quotes from fieldwork that add depth and meaning to the analysis and discussion of the sexuality and complex social and economic networks inherent in these rituals."
—Norma Elia Cantú, Professor of Latina/o Studies and English at the University of Missouri, Kansas City, and author of Canícula: Snapshots of a Girlhood en la Frontera
Brief Introduction by Evelyn Ibatan Rodriguez:
I often describe my recently published book, Celebrating Debutantes and Quinceañeras (Temple University Press, 2013) as a "window" into these Filipina and Mexicana rituals in the United States. This excerpt from the book explains the distinctive ways I learned to best accompany and study the communities who allowed me into their lives so that I could write Celebrating Debutantes and Quinceañeras.
You can read Chaper 1 at Temple University Press' site; and you can also order the book from them.
Photos are courtesy of Evelyn Ibatan Rodriguez, Temple University Press, and Wikipedia
- Guest Blogger: Carol Ojeda-Kimbrough's "Salvaged Love"
- Guest Blogger: Paulino Lim, Jr. "Preface to a Work in Progress" - Sabong
- Guest Blogger: Makeup by Swapna: "Blue Smokey Eyes and Nude Lips" Look
- Guest Blogger: Rashaan Alexis Meneses, "Themes of Love & Labor"
- Guest Blogger: Jon Pineda, poem "Matamis"
- Guest Blogger: Lysley Tenorio, "The View from Culion
- Guest Blogger: Julia Stein, "The Woman Disappears Bit by Bit" - poem re Iraq War
- Guest Blogger: Linda Ty Casper "In Place of Trees"
- Guest Blogger, Luisa A. Igloria, "Poems on Haiyan"
- Guest Blogger, Luisa A. Igloria, "How Is it Possible to Think of Literature in Times of Calamity?"
- Guest Blogger, Melissa Salva, Volunteerism Strong Despite Disruptions by Gov't Agencies
- Guest Blogger, Brian Ascalon Roley, "Old Man"
- Guest Blogger, Erlinda Kravetz, "Song from the Mountain
- tags: Philippine, American, Mexican, Latin, Evelyn Ibatan Rodriguez, quinceanries, debutantes, coming of age, immigration, immigrants, ethnic studies, ethnicity, debut This is all for now,