Friday, August 1, 2014

Garden Update: How My Cannibal Pitcher Plants Are Doing



Do you remember my Cannibal Pitcher Plants, the Nepenthes Ampullaria, which I've named the Sirens?

I am pleased to report they are doing just fine. Their pitchers have turned bright red, and they have vines that are growing out from the top.



My plan is to let the vines grow longer and then I'm going to make cuttings to propagate these interesting plants. I've already looked it up and it seems easy to do, but I'll talk about that when it happens.  In the meantime, the Sirens are looking absolutely glorious. I think they get the right amount of sunshine, moisture, and bugs.

I have old pictures of the Nepenthes before the pitchers turned red and the vines developed.





BEFORE




This is an aside, but when I was in Palawan, Philippines, there was an article about rare Nepenthes that used to be endemic to the area, but a number of years ago, some visiting German scientists, took samples and propagated them in Germany. I don't believe the Philippine authorities were happy about that. Here's an article about all this

This is all for now. Have a great weekend!
Read also

This is all for now,


No comments: