Monday, February 29, 2016

Cebu, Philippines: Antique Photographs Pictures Cuenco, Carlock



I have written about Judge Lyman J. Carlock, the first American judge in Cebu, Philippines, in the early 1900s, soon after the US acquired the Philippines.  My great-grandfather, Mariano Albao Cuenco was the Court of Clerk and worked closely with Judge Carlock.  Please read my earlier and lengthy article about him.



I was thrilled to hear from a descendant of Judge Carlock, who sent me some pictures that included my granduncle, Jose Maria Cuenco. My granduncle was a student in the US when he visited the Carlock family, around 1914.


It must have been a happy get-together. Judge Carlock had died from cholera in 1903 in Cebu. The Carlock family returned to the US. and the reunion with my granduncle must have been a time for them to reminisce about their days in Cebu. I note how someone has inscribed in the scrapbook "Jose Cuenco Archbishop of Jolo (sic)."

This indicates to me that the Carlock family had kept in touch with my granduncle who, after studying in the US decided to become a priest and later became Archbishop of Jaro, Iloilo.

Here are some wonderful historic pictures, courtesy of John Allert, great-grandson of Judge Carlock. The top pictures show my granduncle with a bevy of women. The charming bottom picture shows Margaret Louise Carlock with her Cebuana nurse in 1903.



The picture below shows the name of the street "Calle de Carlock" which I still have to find in Cebu.


Margaret Louise Carlock (daughter of Lyman) with Andres Borromeo

Read also
More 1914 Antique Pictures re Lyman Carlock
Lyman J. Carlock
Remembrances of Things Awry, The Families of Old Cebu
How My Great Grandmother Remedios Lopez Cuenco Died
Excerpt from Archbishop Jose Maria Cuenco's Autobiography
The Sensational Elopement of Milagros and Manuel Cuenco

Tags: history, Philippines, Filipino, Cebu, Sugbo, Bisaya, Visayan, Lyman Carlock, Cuenco, #Philippines #Filipino #history

This is all for now,
Cecilia


No comments: