Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Olive Trees of Gethsemane and Matthew 26


Since it's Holy Thursday, I'm sharing pictures of Gethsemane, which I took. It is said that some of the olive trees witnessed the Passion of Christ.





Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." 

He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me." 

Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." 

Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?" he asked Peter. 

"Watch and pray so you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak." 

He went away a second time and prayed, "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done. ~ from Matthew 26


~~
Read also

  • The Holy Land



  • tags: religion, Holy Thursday, Gethsemane, Catholic, Christian
  • This is all for now,
    Cecilia
  • No comments: