Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Manila, Final Report for now, by Cecilia Brainard

I'll be heading back to Cebu tomorrow so this will be my last report re my Manila visit.

Today, after visiting F. Sionil Jose, I walked down Padre Faura, which used to be part of my world when I was in high school and college.  I wondered what had happened to the Ateneo Law School and the chapel that my friends and I used to frequent.

The Ateneo is gone; only a placard remains as a reminder of what had been there in the past. In its place is the Robinson's shopping mall. I felt a tinge of sadness as I walked around this mega-mall, recalling the past. Robinson's is a two-story mall, filled with shops and restaurants, and there's a supermarket as well. These huge malls tend to blend in my imagination -- they have the same sort of shops, and the same energy. But they're popular places where people hang out in. It's air-conditioned and relatively safe, given everyone is checked by security guards.






Later this evening, I had dinner with my college friend, Marily Ysip Orosa, in Greenbelt 5, in a restaurant called Chateau 1777. We had a great time catching up.  Marily owns Studio 5, publisher of award-winning coffee table books.

The weather in Manila has been good these past few days -- no rain, and not so hot.  I'm hoping Cebu's weather will be just as good. 

All for now,
Cecilia

Read also
The Bachelors and Femina Days of Cebu - Memorabilia photos
Old Photographs and Memories 
The Schools I attended, Part 1, St.Theresa's College
The Schools I attended, Part 2, UP & Maryknoll
The Schools I attended, Part 3, UCLA

Saying Goodbye to Papa
Where the Daydreaming Came From 
Death of a Carnival Queen

tags: travel, Manila, Ermita, Robinsons, Makati, Cecilia Brainard, Ateneo Law School, Padre Faura


No comments: