Monday, August 19, 2013

Cooking with Cecilia - Beef Bourguignon - SO GOOD, the nuns are talking about it!!!

Nuns talking about Cecilia's Beef Bourguignon Recipe!!

Cooking with Cecilia - Beef Bourguignon
(This recipe writeup also appeared in Positively Filipino: 
ww.positivelyfilipino.com/magazine/the-happy-home-cook-beef-bourguignon )


This is one of my favorite recipes. I like to fix this for a large crowd. I can prepare it ahead of time and warm it up before the guests arrive. I serve it with rice, salad, and perhaps a ham or salmon as well.  The recipe below serves 6 or so, and when I fix for a larger group, I have to triple the recipe.

Instead of sirloin, I've used the stewing beef cut into chunks from Costco, and as long as I use a well-covered casserole oven pan, it turns out tender and just as good as sirloin.

Instead of butter, I've used olive oil, and it turns out fine.

My recipe for beef bourguignon uses a Secret Ingredient.  Email me at cbrainard@aol.com if you are seriously following my recipe. Otherwise, the recipe works without my Secret Ingredient. (My SI, gives it a bit of oomph!)



Ingredients:
3 lbs. sirloin, cut 2-in cubes
1 1/2 cups burgundy wine
2 tbsp brandy
2 tbsp salad oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
6 tbsp butter
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 large onions, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
4 rounded tbsp flour
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup beef broth
1 1/2 cups tiny white onions
3/4 lb mushroom caps
Secret ingredient- I am not sure the French will forgive me if they know what my secret ingredient is, so if you're seriously using my recipe,  email me cbrainard@aol.com for this.

Marinate beef overnight in wine, brandy, oil, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf. Drain, reserve marinade. Pat meat dry. Brown meat quickly in 2 tbsp butter. Remove meat to casserole dish and saute garlic, onions, and carrots until lightly browned. Blend flour and tomato paste. Add marinade and beef broth. Stir to boil. Pour mixture over meat. Cover and cook at 350 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. Heat 2 tbsp butter in skillet. Saute white onions until golden brown. Remove. Add mushroom caps and saute for 2 minutes. Place onions and mushrooms on top of casserole and bake for 10 minutes. Cecilia adds her Secret Ingredient, to taste, perhaps 1 tbsp.
~~~

 Read also:
Cooking with Cecilia Brainard - Quiche
Cooking with Cecilia Brainard - Linguine with Clams
Cooking Lengua Estofada
Food Essay - Fried Chicken Caribbean-style
How I Learned to Make Leche Flan (or How I Met my Husband)
Cooking with Cecilia - Leche Flan (Vietnamese Style) 
Recipe of Balbacua Cebuana from Louie Nacorda 
Easy Filipino Recipes from Maryknollers 
Cooking with Cecilia - Chicken Soup for my Bad Cold 
Cooking with Cecilia - Short Bread Cookies and Friar Tuck in my Kitchen!

~~
tags: #food  wine, beef bourguignon, beef stew, holiday, cooking, #recipes #ceciliabrainard

No comments: